Friday, August 7, 2020

RIP BG Frank Toney


The Regiment lost one hell of a Officer on 6 August 2020 with the passing of BG Frank Toney. Toney, a former commander of both Special Operations Command–Central and the U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne), is credited with reorienting Special Forces toward the unconventional warfare mission during the opening campaign against the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2001.

The following is his Special Forces Distinguished Member of the Regiment (DMOR) citation:  

Toney commanded the 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) and led the unit through combat during Operation Desert Storm. One noteworthy mission was to seize, clear, hold and safeguard the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait. Then-Lt. Col. Toney and his team conducted more than 70 sensitive, unilateral and combined high-risk missions in Kuwait City.

Toney remained instrumental in the Special Forces community by advising and mentoring key Iraqi generals at the ministerial level on best-practices and handling critical, complex issues to counter terrorists disrupting security in Iraq.

With his induction into the regimental honors program, Toney joins more than 70 Special Forces heroes, such as Col. Aaron Bank, Col. James Nick Rowe and Lt. Gen. William Yarborough on a list of officers and non-commissioned officers who have made a lasting impression on the Army’s special-operations community.

Toney’s awards and decorations include the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, Combat Infantryman Badge, Expert Infantryman Badge, Master Parachute Badge, Master Free-Fall Badge, Special Forces Tab and Ranger Tab.

6 comments:

  1. Frank and I were platoon leaders together in Company B, 1-51 Infantry. Tough as nails, but would do anything for a brother officer. Rest in Peace, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I served under then Colonel Toney with 10th Special Forces Group from 1992-1994 as chief sniper instructor for our CAT II SOTIC program. Frank was by far the BEST commander I ever had in my 28 year SF career. Behind closed doors, we were on a first name basis. I just learned today, 3/18/21, of his passing as I was looking up his whereabouts. Sadly, we hadn't spoken since 2003. I'll never forget him. He was tough, demanding, but FAIR. We had a dynamite rapport when it came to sniper training and he got the best out of me that I had to give. MSG (ret) Lee Werling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then Captain Toney was my CO when I was with Co. C 2/75th Ranger Airborne at Fort Lewis. He pinned my Spec. 4 rank on me. We all called him Blank Frank because he never showed emotion, but he was a great CO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank was a civilian contractor/advisor in Iraq in 2010-11 when I worked with him at the Iraqi Counter Terrorism Services in Baghdad. He gave me a coin at the end of my tour, one I treasure. Hell of a man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toney and met in Kenya in 1994 ,jumped together during a joint US/Kenyan military exercise in Dol Dol . What a tough guy he was . I miss Toney RIP

    ReplyDelete
  6. BG Toney, as known as "blank Frank" had a dynamic personality. I got along with him well, but others who questioned his motives didn't. Nevertheless he meant well in his rise up the promotion chain.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your Comments below. Keep it clean.