Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chaplain's Corner - August 2011

Chaplain’s Corner: Jesus said, "Ask and it will be given to you; and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks find, and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will given him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give gifts to you children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him" Sometimes, however, it may seem as if the Lord has given us "stones" instead of "bread." But in His wisdom, He actually is working through our circumstances to give us something far better than what we requested. Matthew 7:7-11, Holy Bible, New Testament. An unknown author explains Jesus' teaching this way:

"I asked for health that I might do greater things: I was given infirmity that I might do better things. I asked God for strength that I might achieve; I was made weak that I might learn to obey. I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise. I asked for power and the praise of men; I was given weakness to sense my need of God. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might all things. I got nothing I asked for but everything I hoped for. In spite of myself, my prayers were answered --I among all men was most richly blessed." Yes, God always gives us what is best for us.

Chaplain John Szilvasy, LTC Retired

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your Comments below. Keep it clean.