Monday, September 15, 2014

Chaplain's Corner - August 2014

I felt led to use the words this old favorite hymn, The Old Rugged Cross, as my Chaplain article for this month. It speaks to our need to hold on to something that is permanent and will not change until we are in the perfect peace of heaven with God. I pray its words will comfort you as you absorb the dreadful news of the world each day.

“On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross, the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain.
Oh, the old rugged cross, so despised by the world, has a wondrous attraction for me;
for the dear Lamb of God left His glory above to bear it to dark Calvary.

In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine, a wondrous beauty I see;
for ‘twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died to pardon and sanctify me.
To the old rugged cross I will ever be true, its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then He’ll call me some day to my home far away, where His glory forever I’ll share.


(Chorus)
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross…Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross...And exchange it someday for a crown.”

~ Reverend George Bennard

Our heavenly Father, as you protected our military forces in the past, continue to protect them in the present as they engage and destroy the enemy which seeks to destroy us. Return them safely to their families, friends, and a grateful nation where their wounds of war can be healed. Father God, we pray that you would guide our remaining time on earth to use our freedom and choices to honor and glorify you with our thoughts, words, and actions. We ask this in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen

Chaplain John Szilvasy, SFA IX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your Comments below. Keep it clean.