Monday, March 23, 2015

Chaplains Corner - February 2015


Christians solemnly observe Good Friday on April 3rd to remember the horrible Crucifixion, and the Death of Jesus Christ, God’s Son. They then joyfully celebrate Easter, the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from death to life.


The Christian meaning of Good Friday is best expressed in the words of the hymn “The Old Rugged Cross:”


“On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross. The emblem of suffering and shame; and I love that old cross where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain.


(Chorus) Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world, has a wondrous attraction for me; for the dear Lamb of God left His glory above to bear it to dark Calvary.


(Chorus) In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine, a wondrous beauty I see; for it was on that old cross Jesus suffered and died to pardon and sanctify me.


(Chorus)To the old rugged cross I will ever be true, its shame and reproach gladly bear; then He will call me some day to my home far away, where His glory forever I’ll share.”


(Chorus) So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross, till my trophies at last I lay down; I will cling to the old rugged cross, and exchange it some day for crown.”

The purpose of Christ’s coming was to die for our sins on the Cross. This was done to reconcile us with God our Father, and to offer us the gift of eternal life with God in heaven. This can only be received though faith in Jesus Christ. This is clearly stated in the favorite Bible verse John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes (in Jesus Christ) will not perish but have eternal life.”


My prayer for you is that God’s Spirit will lead you to a worship service on Easter morning . There you could experience a new or renewed faith in Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and Lord, and receive the gift of eternal Life with God in heaven.

Love you all.
John A. Szilvasy
Chaplain, SFA IX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your Comments below. Keep it clean.