Friday, January 16, 2015

Chaplains Corner - December 2014

Psalm 23 has a favorite verse that soldiers in combat put on their helmet cover to protect them. So I thought you would enjoy reading the entire Psalm to read the accurate rendering and meaning.

“The Lord is my shepherd: I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil; for You are with me, Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Psalm 23 describes the trustworthiness of God, our Good Shepherd. He cares for us; He provides for our physical needs; He shows us how to live holy lives; He restores us, protects us, heals us, and promises us eternal life with Him in Heaven. What a comfort to know that God gently leads us through the guidance of His Holy Spirit, the reading of the His Word (Bible), and through prayer to. When we use this Psalm in combat or in life situations we affirm our dependence on God who is the reliable leader we need to guide us safely through the crisis situation that surrounds us.

Chaplain John A. Szilvasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your Comments below. Keep it clean.