Tuesday, January 21, 2020

A little Texas History


In late 1834, Jose Antonio Navarro was appointed to serve as a Senator in the Mexican Congress, just reconstituted by President Santa Anna. He sought the advice of his uncle Jose Francisco Ruiz. This was his response:

"I will give you my advice in a few words, remembering the favorite expression of your worthy father, Bread is Bread, Wine is Wine. The die is cast, and in a few months will begin the revolution that will forever separate Texas from the Republic of Mexico."

"I feel a lump in my throat when I say this. I spent the flower of my life and freely shed my blood for the Independence of Mexico, and I would willingly do so again, though I am now old, could I see any evidence that unfortunate Mexico was capable of governing herself, or upholding the honor of her flag and her nationality; but I have lost all hope of remedy, and see nothing in the future but her inevitable ruin and degradation."


"I have military honors (you know it well), and receive a pension from the Government of Mexico. I will lose it all rather than go to Mexico and unite myself to the ranks of that oppressive army. Do not go to the Senate of Mexico, for you will only go to assist in quenching the dying embers of Mexican liberty; let us rather stay in Texas, and throw in our lot with our native State, which can never be worse than now. This is all I have to say."

Navarro took his uncle's advice and a year later, these two and Lorenzo de Zavala were the only native Texans to sign the Texas Declaration of Independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your Comments below. Keep it clean.