Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Chaplain's Corner - October 2015: Prayer For Growing Old

The following prayer is adapted from a prayer written by an anonymous author who was seeking God’s help to grow old gracefully. I sincerely hope it gives you a smile and a desire to share it with others.

“Lord, you know better than I know myself that I am growing older, and someday be old. Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject, and on every occasion. Release me from the craving to straighten out everybody’s affairs. Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not use it all – but You know, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details when sharing an experience. Give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips to the aches and pains of my body and spirit . They are increasing and the love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by. I dare not ask for enough grace to enjoy the tales of other’s aches and pains, but help me to respond to them with patience, love and concern." I dare not ask for improved memory, but for growing humility and lessening cocksureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken and be willing admit it to those listening. Keep me reasonably sweet and pleasant. I do want to be a saint, but not one who is hard to share time with, for a sour old person is extremely difficult to endure each time we meet. Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, to see talents in unexpected people, and the grace to tell them how much I enjoy being with them and sharing my life with them. In closing, I want to thank you for always being there with me and for never abandoning me. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen"

Love you all…

Chaplain John Szilvasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your Comments below. Keep it clean.